Meat Slaughter and Processing Development Grants are currently closed for applications. Check back in fall 2022 for the next round of funding!
- Award amounts $50,000 - $100,000
- Project focus areas:
- Business growth
- Larger facility to increase production, processing and/or distribution, address known existing bottlenecks;
- Market development: developing marketing plans and/or sales strategies;
- Equipment infrastructure;
- Research and development;
- Operations logistics;
- Growth strategy: new or expansion of current efforts, expanding consumer outreach and/or expansion of existing marketing strategy
- Workforce training to benefit the broader industry
- On the job training or apprenticeship opportunities;
- HCAAP (food safety) plans and implementation;
- Inventory, procurement, and pricing management;
- Basic meat cutting and cured meat operation, cut and wrap for case-ready products, value-added processing;
- Product development, sales, and marketing skills training;
- Local Meat Processing: farmer to processor to buyer, direct to eater market, etc.
- Business growth
- All enterprises must be based in Vermont and registered with the Secretary of State
- All organizational structures are eligible:
- Sole proprietorships
- Limited Liability Corporations
- Non-profits involved in the support of the production of agriculture and/or forest products
- Applicants must be in compliance with all state regulations (i.e. water quality, taxes) and in good standing with the State of Vermont
- Previous recipients of Working Lands Business Grants under $20,000 are eligible to re-apply this year. Previous recipients of Business Grants $20,000 and above are eligible to re-apply three years after receiving their previous grant.
How to Apply
- Review the full Request for Applications for the complete details on eligible projects/applicants and the full application process.
- Register in WebGrants (may take up to two business days).
- Complete your application in WebGrants using our Application Guide by November 1, 2021.
Key Dates and Deadlines
- September 10, 2021: Request for Applications (RFA) released
- September 21, 2021: Application Opens for Submission
- November 1, 2021: Application Deadline
- Early January 2022: Applicants notified of funding decisions
- Late January 2022: Grantee documentation due
- February 2022: Estimated Project Start Date
- The Stages of Business Development
- Working Lands Organizational Plan
- Vermont Agriculture and Food Systems Strategic Plan
- Business Plan Template
Lynn Ellen Schimoler
WebGrants Technical Assistance